This time has always stuck out to me....for some reason, and I'm sure it feels more like a coincidence than it actually is, I feel like I look at the clock at this particular time more than others. I'm sure it just sticks out in my mind somehow but it's always intrigued me. I've always thought it would be a good journal/book/coffee table book.
That's my idea....and the key to my retirement....don't steal it.
So Monday - this was the last time I saw this particular time. It was in my car....I had just walked out of Chipotle and was returning to school. We had a work day (an amazing waste of time) and were able to go out for lunch....which I took immediate advantage of. I sat in my car for a moment to watch the 4 switch to a 5 and took note of the incredible frustration I was feeling.
The 'professional development' that was chosen to be covered that morning was on the topic of the 'achievement gap' between white students and students of color. After an intro, which included the term 'the white phenomenon' when describing how white students are treated differently....we had a discussion on why we think the achievement gap is present in our particular district....half of which is in the east side of town, has rougher schools and more 'students of color' (their term...not mine) and does not do as well (scores-wise) as the west side, which is more upper class and has less 'students of color'. After many fun comments from the staff...and arguments back and forth about the students we serve.....we broke into 'teams' and discussed changes we would like to see in our students.
Let me throw out the word team and replace it with 'teachers that happen to teach in the same hallway I do'....because we are NOT a team. We do share a certain number of students....but that it pretty much it. I have a friendship with my English teacher, because she started this year like I did and thinks everyone is as crazy as I do, but really no one else. We all teach VERY differently...and I feel like everyone deems this a reason to not work together as a collective team.
This is very frustrating to me....especially since I have a few team members that choose what rules they have the kids follow and what rules they don't...which makes my life a living hell sometimes because I become the bitchy teacher who always says no. And I'm sure they don't enjoy me breaking up their lovely party.
So I'm trying to start a few of these conversations...and three teachers promptly got up (in the middle of me trying to talk) and left for lunch. EARLY.
AGH. Working with adults sometimes SUCKS.
It made my 12:34 moment stand out.
This frustration mounts on top of everything else that has happened in the last month. My husband and I made a list of why 2012 sucks so far.
- speeding ticket
- husband's truck...engine light keeps going on
- my windshield is cracked...and now has another impressive ding in it thanks to a dump truck on 95
- our heat broke....cost $100 to fix...plus the additional money in electricity
- all the drama with the dog, which still included weekly vet visits
- microwave committed suicide this past weekend...more money down the drain....
- dentist proclaimed that I need 2 more crowns put on
- my school computer committed suicide...and I lost all my grades
So far do good huh? I'm saying a lot of prayers that February is better....
i wonder if you watched the same video we did...
ReplyDelete